Deepen Your Engagement – Volunteer for the 2014 Hunger Study
Every four years, Feeding America and its network of member food banks coordinate a landmark study assessing hunger across our nation. The data collected is then used to inform strategy, programs, and other decisions across the Feeding America network (Second Harvest Heartland is part of this food bank network). It is also used in policy formation at both the local and national level. Ultimately, this valuable knowledge empowers us to close the missing meal gap in America.
Volunteers play a critical role in the success of the Hunger Study—and we need your help! Second Harvest Heartland is seeking 20-30 volunteers who are able to help us survey clients at partner agencies regarding their food security.
• Volunteer commitment can be on any day of the week, from 2-7 hours per site visit (travel time additional), mornings, afternoons, evenings and weekends. We are asking a minimum commitment of six site visits.
• Travel to agency sites (mostly metro, but also cities along I-94/Hwy 10) with a lead volunteer and other Hunger Study volunteers.
• Set up the computers and online survey at the agency sites.
• Follow a specific sampling plan to identify clients to participate in the survey.
• Interact with clients during the research process.
• Address questions about the Hunger Study and the Client Survey.
• Must be 18 or older.
• Be willing to visit a minimum of six different sites anytime between May 1 and August 31, 2013. Our Hunger Study Coordinators will work with volunteers to schedule sites.
• Attend a mandatory four-hour training session (The first session is scheduled for April 23, and we will be holding more as needed.)
• Strong computer and internet skills.
• Strong Communication skills (interacting positively with diverse populations, communicating persuasively and effectively, comfortable approaching clients and asking them to complete the survey).
• Exercise discretion and show sensitivity with clients.
• Be enthusiastic, flexible and patient.
How to Apply
If you are interested in participating, please contact Jess Swanson, email@example.com or 651-209-7961.